VashtiDance Theater was founded by its Artistic Director, Fatima Logan, in 2011. Since that time, the company has performed throughout the country including venues such as the Paramount Theater (Boston, MA), Riverside Theater (New York,NY), the Dogtown Dance Theater (Richmond, VA), Jamaica Performing Arts Center (NY), Bronx Academy of Arts and Dance (Bronx, NY), Aaron Davis Hall (NY, NY), Actor’sFund Arts Center (Brooklyn, NY), Jacob Javitz Center and Asbury Temple, (Durham, NC).
As an expression of the company’s commitment to the community and education, VashtiDance Theater has also presented performances and lecture-demonstrations at educational institutions including Borough of Manhattan Community College, Virginia Commonwealth University, Hunter College, Powhatan Arts Council, and the Powhatan Chapter of the NAACP. VashtiDance Theater also partners with organizations including Young Audiences New York and Bronx Children’s Museum, to present arts education performances that foster family and community unity. The company has performed at numerous dance festivals including the Harlem Arts Festival, Boston Contemporary Dance Festival,Waterside Plaza Dance Festival, Tribeca Family Arts Festival, Green Festival and the FAB Arts Festival.
VashtiDance Theater's Mission is to uplift, empower, inspire, and educate our community through dance and music performances, workshops, and events that demonstrate refined and exceptional professional artistry and quality educational instruction. VashtiDance Theater creates dance and music that combine the aesthetic and technical values of classical disciplines (ballet, modern, traditional African and classical music) with the evolving aesthetics of Africa and its Diaspora. VashtiDance blends the vernacular, traditional, classical, to create a contemporary perspective that is genuine and authentic.
VashtiDance Theater’s performances feature live music and innovative dance works in a dance theater experience that is thought provoking and examines the fundamental essence of the human struggle, including self-realization, cultural and historical awareness, and a vision for a positive united society.
Performance and Event History
Performance and Event History
- Community Art Day Interactive Performance, Sunday, August 19, 2018 12:30pm at Bathgate Playground, Bronx, NY
- TWW and Friends, 16th Anniversary Performance at BAM Fishman Space, Saturday, June 16, 2018
- Interactive Educational Performance @ PS399K, April 20, 2018 9:30am and 10:30am.
- Interactive Educational Performance @ Cypress Hills Community School-Art Family Night, May 16, 2018 from 5:30-6:30pm.
- VashtiDance Theater in partnership with Alston Logan Art Alliance present Ujamaa: A Kwanzaa Celebration Friday, December 29, 2017 from 2-6pm at Wadleigh High School for the Performing Arts at 215 West 114th Street, New York, NY. Admission is Free. Come enjoy demo classes in percussion, Zumba/Dance Fitness, performances, and a cultural marketplace where you can purchase reasonably priced Kwanzaa gifts and cultural goods.
- VashtiDance Theater presents its Fall Concert, Surrender to the Light Within, at The Sheen Center for Thought and Culture, 18 Bleecker Street, New York, NY 10012 Saturday November 11th at 7pm and Sunday, November 12th at 4pm.
- VashtiDance Theater performs at the APEX showcase at the Peridance Capezio Theater, August 26th at 8pm and August 27th at 4:00pm or 7:30pm. Tickets on Sale at the Peridance Box Office.
- Educational Performances at PS233Q, March 27, April 3, and April 26th. Interactive Performances featuring live music and Contemporary and Traditional Dance.
- Richmond Dance Festival, Dogtown Theater, Richmond, VA Friday and Saturday, April 28-29th. Visit http://www.dogtowndancetheatre.com/richmond-dance-festival-2017
- VashtiDance performs at the Outlet Dance Project, Sunday, October 30th, 2016 at 2pm in Hamilton, NJ.
- VashtiDance performs at New York Jazz Choreographer Project Saturday, October 22nd at 8pm and Sunday, October 23rd at 4pm at the Salvatore Capezio Theater at Peridance located at 126 E. 13th Street, New York, NY 10003.
- VashtiDance Summer Contemporary Dance Series begins Thursday 7/7/16 from 7-8:30pm at the St. Veronica Creative Cultural Center at 149 Christopher Street, New York, NY 10014. Class will be in Studio 6 and run weekly at this location on Thursdays throughout July. Class is Open Level-so all are welcome. $10. Class fee can be paid through Class/Tickets Sales Tab at vashtidancetheaer.com.
- Free African Dance Workshop, led by Artistic Director of VashtiDance Theater, Fatima Logan with live musical accompaniment by Musical Director, David Alston Saturday, May 21, 2016 from 2-3pm at 425 West 123rd Street, New York, NY 10027.
- VashtiDance Theater performs an interactive dance and music performance presented by Young Audiences New York at PS173X, Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 5:30pm.
- Saturday, April 30th, VashtiDance will present a new work themed around the struggles of poverty at the 3rd Annual Sweet Amen of Peace Celebration: A Day of Solutions from 2-5pm at St. Phillip’s Church, 204 west 134th Street, New York, NY.
- VashtiDance Artistic Director Teaches Contemporary Dance at the Access 8 Dance Series at Gibney Dance Center 4/18/16, 4/20/16, 4/22/16, 4/25/16, 4/27/16, and 4/29/16 from 2-4pm. Classes are $8/class and payable at the Gibney Dance Center.
- VashtiDance Theater performed two interactive dance performance at PS15Q, Wednesday March 23rd, presented by Young Audiences New York.
- VashtiDance Theater performs a Family Interactive Dance and Music performance at PS163M Saturday, March 12th from 3-4pm, presented by Young Audiences New York.
- The Alston Music Ensemble of VashtiDance performed at the African-American History Celebration..What About Black Women?… Presented by Black History Committee 1320 at St. Phillip’s Church at 204 West 134th Street, 8pm-2am. Casual Attire. $20 in advance and $25 at the door.
- VashtiDance Theater performs an excerpt from The Pearl at the Peridance Showcase at the Salvatore Capezio Theater, Sunday, February 21, 2016 at 4pm.
- VashtiDance Theater presented an interactive workshop and performance at the Children’s Hospital at Montefiore in celebration of African-American history, Thursday, February 18th at 3pm; 3415 Bainbridge Avenue, Bronx, NY 10467.
- VashtiDance Theater performed an excerpt from the Bridge to Reconciliation, in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Sunday, January 17th, 2016 at the historic St. Phillip’s Church, 204 West 134th Street, New York, NY 11:15am.
- VashtiDance Theater presented a mini lecture-demonstration in celebration of Kwanzaa at the School of the Performing Arts , I.S. 217X at 977 Tiffany Street, Bronx, NY Saturday, December 5, 2015 from 4-6pm.
- VashtiDance Theater performs at The Children’s Hospital at Montefiore Medical Center, 3415 Bainbridge Avenue, Bronx, NY on Thursday, November 19, 2015 from 3-4pm. The performance will be followed by an interactive workshop in percussion and dance.
- VashtiDance Theater presents our 3rd Annual Fall Concert, Living Light in Dark Places, at the Pregones Theater at 571-575 Walton Avenue, Bronx, NY at 7pm on Friday, October 30, 2015. Special guest choreographers include Kevin Clark, Satomi Itohara, and Amrita Doshi. Tickets are $25.00 and can be purchased on-line under our Class/Ticket Sales page through our PayPal Link.
- VashtiDance performs Snap Out Of It, an excerpt from The Pearl, at the NY Jazz Choreography Project Produced by Jazz Choreography Enterprises, Inc. October 17th, 8pm and October 18th 2pm at the Ailey Citigroup Theater, 405 West 55th Street, New York, NY 10019.
- VashtiDance Theater, performs an excerpt from our repertoire as part of the Queen Community Dance Performance hosted by Sans Limited Dance, September 20, 2015 at 1pm at the Cambria Heights at 227th St and Linden Blvd. and at 3pm at Jamaica at Merrick Blvd and 118th Rd.
- VashtiDance Theater, performs, Call of the Serpent, as a part of the sixth annual Summer Suite Festival presented by the In-Sight Dance Company, September 5th and 6th, 2015 from 5-6pm at the Socrates Sculpture Park at 32-01 Vernon Blvd at Broadway, Long Island City, NY 11106.
- Musical Director, David Alston leads a percussion workshop followed by a performance with Warriors of the Dream at St.John’s Episcopal Church at 365 Strawtown Road in New City New York, Sunday, August 30, 2015 from 4-6pm
- Join Artistic Director, Fatima Logan for free workshops in contemporary dance and Musical Director, David Alston, for free workshops in music as a part of the Bronx Children’s Museum’s Art Spot, Saturday, August 15th, August 22nd, and August 29th (dance only) 2015 from 11-4pm at 303 E. 135th Street, Bronx, NY 10454. There will also be workshops in visual arts during the Arts Spot event.
- VashtiDance Theater performs two excerpts from our Repertoire, along with two of this year’s new works, The Cleansing and Shallow Space Between, in an Interactive Performance, Tuesday, August 18, 2015 at Cypress Hills Community School. 265 Warwick Street, Brooklyn, NY 4:45pm.
- Join Artistic Director of VashtiDance Theater, Fatima Logan, for a free outdoor dance workshop on July 16th at the Montefiore Medical Center in the East Courtyard at 111 E. 210th Street, Bronx, NY from 12:30-2:30pm as part of the Green Yard Project Community Enrichment Day. It will be a fun filled day with a visual art workshop in Moss Murals led by Bronx based artist Natalie Wood, live musical performance, and a farmer’s market. The activities will go on from 12pm-4pm. Hope to see you there!
- Community Performance, Friday, June, 5, 2015, June Jives, presented by Arts East New York at the New Lots Plaza. New York China Cultural Center and VashtiDance will perform beginning at 5:30pm. The performance is free.
- Cultural Performance at the Dream Big Celebration presented by the Bronx Children’s Museum at PS49X at 1pm and 3pm. Wednesday, June 3, 2015
- Family Interactive Performance, May 29, 2015 6pm at PS205X in Bronx. 6pm
- Music, Dance, and Living Eco-Friendly.VashtiDance presents at the Green Festival at the Jacob Javitz Center Saturday April 25, 2015 between 3-6pm. For complimentary tickets please contact us at [email protected]
- Private Family Dance and Music Workshop. Saturday, April 18, 2015 Queens, NY
- Easter Celebration Through Dance at New Creation United Methodist Church, Durham, NC. April 5, 2015 10:30am
- BAAD!Ass Women Dance Festival at the Bronx Academy of Arts and Dance, Bronx, NY, Friday, March 13th at 8pm. VashtiDance will perform the new work, Shallow Space Between. For ticket information call 718-918-2110 or visit http://www.BronxAcademyofArtsandDance.org
- Spoken Movement presented by MalayaWorks, will feature choreography from diverse choreographers at Richmond’s Dogtown Dance Theater, Saturday, March 7th and Sunday, March 8th. VashtiDance will present a new solo work, Shallow Space Between. Tickets are $20 for adults, $15 for students and are available at spoken movement.brownpapertickets.com/
- Lecture-Demonstration Performance Friday, February 27, 2015 8:45 & 9:45am PS160Q Edith K. Bergtraum School 70-35 150th Street, Queens, NY 11367 Private Performance
- Kwanzaa Celebration, Presented by VashtiDance Theater in partnership with Mt. Morris Ascension Presbyterian Church Saturday, December 27, 2014 at 5pm at corner of 122nd and 5th Avenue in Harlem, NY, across from Marcus Garvey Park. Join us for a rejuvenating and fun evening of live music, dance, poetry, and a cultural fashion show.Admission is Free and refreshments will be served. For more information email us at [email protected]
- VashtiDance Theater performs at Bokandeye's 20th Anniversary Concert Saturday, October 11, 2014 @ 7pm @ Aaron Davis Hall 138 Convent Avenue, New York, NY 10031.
- 2nd Annual Fall Concert Pregones Theater 571 Walton Avenue Bronx, NY 10451 September 14, 2014 @ 6pm Tickets $25 in advance & $30 at the door Advanced tickets available online through this site-go to class/ticket sales
- Contemporary Dance Class led by Artistic Director, Fatima Logan Saturday, August 23, 2014 Dogtown Dance Theater 109 West 15th Street Richmond, Virginia 23224 $10
- Boston Contemporary Dance Festival Paramount Theater 559 Washington Street Boston, MA 02111 Saturday, August 16, 2014 @ 3pm
- Harlem Arts Festival 2014, June 29th, 2014, 3pm Richard Rogers Amphitheater @ Marcus Garvey Park New York, NY Free
- Family Performance at PS096Q 130-01 Rockaway Blvd. So. Ozone Park, NY 11420 Wednesday 6/11/2014 at 5:30pm This is a private event.
- JCAL Next Stage Dance Residency Program VashtiDance presents Stories Untold, in the JCAL Next Stage Dance Residency June 5, 2014 8pm. Jamaica Performing Arts Center 153-10 Jamaica Ave Jamaica, NY 11432
- BAAD! Ass Women Festival at the Bronx Academy of Arts and Dance Located at 2474 Westchester Ave, Bronx, NY 10461 VDT will be performing an excerpt from "Stories Untold" Thursday March 13, 2014 Ticket Price $20.00
- Spence-Chapin Services to Families and Children's Global Gathering Event VashtiDance will perform an excerpt of The Pearl, entitled, Call of the Serpent, in celebration of unity and family at the Global Gathering Event. 410 East 92nd Street New York, NY 10128 Performance begins at 2:30pm.
- Pangaea Live Music and Dance Festival VashtiDance will perform an excerpt from its repertoire in celebration of the its commitment to live music and dance. Saturday March 1, 2014 100 Grand Street New York, NY House. 8pm.
- Round 12 of The Pearl Saturday December 21, 8pmActors Fund Arts Center160 Schermerhorn Street,Between Hoyt & Smith Admission :$10. VashtiDance will perform an excerpt entitled, Snap Out of It.
- VashtiDance presents its Fall Concert Forgotten Legacies...Reclaiming Our Heritage the Riverside Theater.October 26, 2013 @ 7pm.Featuring The Pearl and an excerpt of Stories Untold, with special guest choreographers Ayaka Habata, Kimberly Prosa, and Dr. Darian Parker.
- LUNGs (Loisaida United Neighborhood Gardens) Harvest Festival VashtiDance Theater will perform an excerpt of Bridge to Reconciliation, as a part of the outdoor performances for the Loisaida united Neighborhood Gardens Harvest Festival 2013 Sunday, September 29, 2013
- Orchard Alley Garden 350 East 4th Street Between Ave. C and D Sunday 2-5pm VashtiDance performs at 3:15 pm Admission: Free
- FAB! Festival VashtiDance Theater will perform an excerpt from The Pearl, The Call of the Serpent, as a part of the FAB! Festival on the outdoor stage. Saturday, September 28, 2013 East 4th Street, New York, NY 1-5pm, VasthiDance Performs at 4pm Admission: Free
- Waterside Plaza Dance Festival VashtiDance will perform two excerpts from The Pearl, Saturday August 17, 2013 at 5pm (rain date August 18) 30 Waterside Plaza, New York, NY Admission: Free.
- Women in Dance, Summer Showcase Artistic Director and Founder of VashtiDance, Fatima Logan, will perform a solo excerpt from The Pearl, based on the Fable of the Pearl, a Gnostic call to self-realization. July 27, 2013 at 7:00pm DANY Studios 305 West 38th Street New York, NY Studios 1 and 3 Suggested Donation: $15.00.
- Get Down By the River Interactive dance performance and workshop, in partnership with Solar One. Workshop and performance to be followed by open dance party. Friday June 14, 2013 6:30pm 23rd Street and East River Free for Children, Tickets are $10 for Adults.
- Stories Untold VashtiDance revisits its first work in honor of our Ancestors, Stories Untold, during the TWW presentation of Middle Passage... Slave Narratives, in Brooklyn, NY. Inspired by accounts of medical treatment and experimentation during slavery in Antebellum Virginia, Stories Untold, commemorates the contributions of our ancestors of African descent and uses their stories to derive strength and hope. Ticket information available at http://slavenarratives.eventbrite.com
- Global Nurses Initiative Fundraiser Event VashtiDance Theater partnered with Global Nurses Initiative in a fundraiser event at Bati Ethiopian Restaurant at 747 Fulton Street in Brooklyn, NY August 25, 2012.
- Ancestral Memories II, with Claves Unidos Dogtown Dance Theater, Richmond, VA July 13-15th, 2012 VashtiDance Theater partnered with Claves Unidos to present the second annual performance of the concert entitled Ancestral Memories II, a performance event of music, dance, spoken word, and song that encourages audiences to look back to find strength in their heritage and to look forward to new beginnings, experiences, and growth. VashtiDance Theater debuted its half of an evening length work, Down to the River, which was well received.
- Tribeca Family Arts Festival VashtiDance Theater performed a 15 minute lecture demonstration at this arts festival, energizing the audience with live West African drumming and Afro-Contemporary dance performance as well as audience participation and a mini youth dance workshop on stage.